Sunday, December 11, 2011

A first 5k

Well, I did it. I ran a 5k.

I've been running for the past two or so months on and off with Dave's help - both him watching the boys so I can run and his running advice. I decided that I really wanted to try running after watching this year's NYC Marathon. Plus, I need to get in better shape and lose some more baby weight.

I had done some running briefly when we lived in Glastonbury, Connecticut, which I think was in 2007 -- around the time of our wedding. But I didn't really enjoy it, so I was hesitant to try it again.

But because of all the walking I do with the boys and the stroller, my legs were solid, allowing me to run about a mile on my first outing before stopping to walk. I built on that, going a little farther each time until I reached 3 miles. And then....I did 4 miles. I like that distance because after 3 miles I feel good and want to keep going.

The 5k (3.1miles) was in New Haven, Connecticut, running through the streets of the downtown there that Dave and I use to frequent. It was COLD - in the 30s, but it was fine once I started moving with the other 2,500 runners. Now, I didn't place well....I was the 1,769th person to cross the finish line, but I finished. My time was 34:38, and my goal was to do it under 40 minutes. I am very pleased that I was able to do the run on a 11:20-minute mile. I usually do about a 12-minute mile or even slower.


So, I hope to do more races. Besides the obvious health benefits, running is such a mental challenge. And it's a game I've come to enjoy.

More races photos: Liz's 1st 5k

No comments: