Thursday, February 28, 2013

Jonah's Birth Story

On Sunday, Feb. 17 - one day past my due date - Dave, the boys and I took a subway ride into the city to return some shirts at JC Penney. I was hoping a bumpy subway ride would help baby decide to come out. I was agitated all day (more so than usual) and more uncomfortable than usual. I had a doctor's appointment the next morning, and I was hoping they could help labor naturally progress by sweeping my membranes, a procedure that could jump start contractions. Little did I know that the subway ride might have done me some good.

Around 12:30 a.m. Monday, I woke up with mild contractions. I felt the need to pace around the apartment. The contractions were coming about every 7 to 8 minutes and lasting only about 30 seconds. But by 1 a.m., they were coming more quickly and stronger. I woke Dave up at some point, and at 1:15 a.m. I called my midwife, who gave me the go-ahead to come into the hospital. I also called my friend Cristina, who was going to watch the boys. Cristina, who is saint to do this for us, arrived around 1:30 a.m., and Dave and I drove to the hospital. I'm not sure how long it took, but by the end of the drive, I was in serious labor and even feeling the need to push.

I went to the labor/delivery area of Maimonides Medical Center. I was only 6 cm dilated but they took me quickly to a delivery room - even before I was officially admitted. My midwife broke my water, and within a minute I was 10 cm dilated and ready to push. Jonah was born at 2:49 a.m. - about an hour after arriving at the hospital.

I guess I wasn't exactly a good patient, as they had a hard time finding a vein for an oxytocin drip, which is needed in case I started bleeding too much. (With every baby, you are at more of a risk of hemorrhaging, apparently. And it's important to have an IV line ready to go in case of an emergency.) They poked me several times, and once they had a vein, but it fell out. I apparently have shallow veins. Dave even told the midwife that I don't have the best bedside manner. He got a good whack across the chest from me.

Jonah was in good shape at birth. They cleaned him off and gave them to me. We had two names picked out: Andrew and Jonah. At first, Dave thought he looked like an Andrew. But we waited until we got up to the recovery room to decide. By then, Jonah had had a bath. At that time, we decided he would be Jonah.

This was my third natural delivery without an epidural, although with each one I certainly asked (begged) for one. It was too late for an epidural with Jonah. Both Dave and my midwife seemed to ignore my pleas.

The hospital stay was uneventful. It was what you'd expect - bad food and no sleep. I had a roommate the second night whose monitors kept beeping. (She had had a c-section.) She also kept the lights on the entire night.

I was happy to get home on Wednesday afternoon. Dave's mom had come down on Monday to help with the boys, so Dave could spend time with me and Jonah in the hospital. Sam and Henry were very excited to meet the baby. They had bought him little presents, and Jonah bought them a battery-operated helicopter.

So far, the boys have been wonderful with Jonah. No signs of jealousy - yet. Dave has been on paternity leave since Feb. 11 - he returns to work Monday, March 4. That's when I will truly be tested!

No comments: