We have been trying to go camping all summer, but something - the weather or bad behavior from the boys - has kept us from it. And at the start of this long weekend, we weren't sure we'd get it in. Dave had reserved a camp site at Lenwood Lake near West Bend. It's a campground on a small lake that offers a large playground and beach for the kids.
We were planning on going up there Friday when I got off of work, but Jonah was running a fever. And then Sam got sick. And then Henry got sick. Saturday was the worse, with fevers around 103. Thankfully, Sunday arrived. The sickness left as quickly as it arrived.
After church we loaded up the van and headed north. It was just a 45-minute drive - close enough to easily come home if needed.
The weather was good - hot and sunny. We went swimming and canoeing. We ate s'mores around the campfire and managed to get some sleep. I was in one tent with Jonah and Dave was with Sam and Henry in another. Jonah is a bed hog, and I made Dave switch tents with me half way through the night. (Dave, Sam and Henry had an air mattress, too. Jonah and I did not.)
I was able to take Sam and Henry out for a short canoe ride this morning before the rain came, and it appears that Jonah isn't feeling 100 percent, so we came home.
But I'd say this first camping trip as a family of five was a success! (We had taken Sam and Henry camping in Connecticut the summer of 2012. I was pregnant with Jonah at the time, so technically, I guess we have camped before as a family of five....)



No comments:
Post a Comment