Thursday, August 14, 2008

Mystery Magazine

We received a surprise piece of mail this week: the August issue of Outside magazine.

It was a surprise because I haven't subscribed to Outside, at least not that I recall. Is it possible I could have sent away for the magazine and then totally forgotten? It surely wasn't Liz, because she thinks I get too many magazines already.

The most likely scenario is the phenomenon of the gift subscription. My buddy Kyle got me a Runner's World subscription a while back, and I returned the favor by sending him an Atlantic Monthly subscription. Keith is a fan of Outside, so I figured he must have been struck by a sudden fit of generosity. Not so, says Keith, though he's willing to take credit if no one else does.

So if anyone can solve this mystery, please let us know. The subscription is much appreciated. Now I can pursue my life-long ambition of becoming an unwashed, Everest-dreaming, surfboard-carrying, gear-grinding Sherpa of the soul.

1 comment:

bdsimmons2 said...

Now we fully expect you to start throwing around terms like "Fixie" and "Prusik".

You know, at our wedding we received a gift that had a card with it, signed by someone we didn't know, and it was dropped off at the gift table not mailed. The gift was an ugly mounted fish, not unlike the singing "billy bass" that one could say used to be, erm, popular. We googled the name once we discovered no one knew who it was, and got no hits. We decided it was a joke by one of our friends, and as such passed it on to another couple we knew who got married a short time afterwards, accompanied by a card signed with the same mysterious name. Sadly I should have kept it for your wedding, since I don't think my other friends have passed on the tradition, and I feel like I would be breaking it if I told them it was us that gave them the fish, and they needed to give it to someone else.