Thursday, July 31, 2008

The Walkmen Return

One of my favorite bands is coming out with a new CD on Aug. 19, but through the wonders of technology I just snagged it more than two weeks in advance.

No, I'm not a black-market buyer. In an arrangement similar to Radiohead's recent album "In Rainbows" download, the Walkmen put their new album online here and asked fans to pay $5 for the privilege. When Radiohead asked fans to name their price, I volunteered to pay 3 British pounds (about $8), so $5 for the Walkmen's "You & Me" sounded like a bargain, and proceeds benefit cancer research.

The download didn't take on my train ride into work, so I tried again on the way home. This time, success! I'm now in indie-rock heaven listening to the tracks as my train approaches New Haven.

Since this is my first listen, it's too early for full appraisal, but I can safely say that the Walkmen haven't let me down yet. Excellent!

If you're interested, the band's home page has some of its songs in rotation. As for me, it'd be a crime to miss the boys kick off their tour Aug. 18, when they play New York's Bowery Ballroom. Please, Liz, can I go? Please? Please?

No comments: