Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Community Service

About a month or so ago, I started volunteering at the Connecticut Food Bank once a week for two or three hours. The organization is essentially a go-between for area food pantries and food donors. Most of the food comes from grocery stores. The food is either near expiration or the packaging is damaged. On a daily basis, volunteers help sort the food, preparing it for the pantries and soup kitchens.

The majority of the volunteers are retirees or groups from various corporations who come in as part of some company give-back-to-the-community program.

The other folks who help out are there to do community service because they, in some way, broke the law. Most of them are 20-somethings.

For the past two weeks, I've been mistaken for someone who is there to 'serve time.' They usually ask me how many hours I have to put in or just ask straight out why I have to do community service.

I guess I see why people would think that....I'm on the young side. I'm there during normal workday hours, and I'm there by myself, not part of a group. Obviously, I'm not a young professional because I should be at work at 10 a.m.

I think it's funny.

2 comments:

The Casey Family said...

So they think you're a juvie? I love it! I think it's great that you're volunteering--a wonderful act of kindness.

Joy Lengyel Photography said...

It's okay, Liz -- you can tell us what you did that warrants you serving time at the food bank. :)