Saturday, July 25, 2009

Due Date

We made it to July 25, the estimated due date of our little chick. We are hoping that the little guy will now make his arrival!

When the baby comes has been one heck of a trial for us.

Before my first internal exam at the beginning of the month, I had it in my head that little chick might not make his big debut until August.

But during an early July visit, my doctor examined me and determined that there was no way I would make it to July 25. At that visit, I was already 2 cm dilated and about 60 percent effaced.

But alas, the weeks passed.

On Tuesday, the doctor told me I'm 3 cm dilated and about 80 percent effaced. (No doubt I'm lucky here. It can take women hours of painful labor to get where I'm at -- and I have yet to feel a contraction.)

We temporarily scheduled another appointment for Tuesday, the 28th -- doc said there's no way I'd still be pregnant by then. We shall see!

These optimistic doctors - I see a handful of rotating docs - are throwing us for a loop, and I'm to the point where I refuse to trust what they say.

This is my first child, afterall, so it only should be assumed that I would go past my due date. Most women do. And despite such progress with my cervix, the baby hasn't dropped.

And yes, I'm absolutely sick of people asking me if the baby has arrived. You will no doubt know when he arrives, people! Dave and I will be shouting it from the mountain tops, a.k.a. Facebook, e-mail, phone calls.

No comments: