Friday, August 14, 2009
Monday, August 10, 2009
It has been a week already?
Time flies when you aren't getting any sleep?
It's hard to believe that a week ago our little Sam was born! And it has been quite the week.
We are getting the hang of feeding, diaper changes and how to calm a restless, crying baby. Dave and I, obviously, are sleep deprived, but I don't think we'd want it any other way at this point.
Sam is full of fun expressions, especially when he is sleepy. Enjoy these photos Dave took: Sleepy Sam
It's hard to believe that a week ago our little Sam was born! And it has been quite the week.
We are getting the hang of feeding, diaper changes and how to calm a restless, crying baby. Dave and I, obviously, are sleep deprived, but I don't think we'd want it any other way at this point.
Sam is full of fun expressions, especially when he is sleepy. Enjoy these photos Dave took: Sleepy Sam
Thursday, August 6, 2009
BABY!!!

We apologize for not posting earlier, but as you can imagine, we've been busy.
Samuel Putnam Paulsen was born Monday, Aug. 3 at 2:33 p.m. I was induced Monday morning and labored for only six hours before our little man arrived, weighing 8 lbs 11 oz and 21 1/4 inches long.
We are home from the hospital now with baby Sam. My parents are here with us enjoying this time of excitement and change.
We have tons of photos to share on my Picasa site: http://picasaweb.google.com/eputnam97
Thursday, July 30, 2009
Another Update
We are scheduled for an induction on Monday. We don't have a time yet. The hospital will call us Sunday night to let us know what time to come in.
There is a chance, however, that we will get bumped. The hospital might push our induction back a few hours or a day, depending on how many women they have in labor. Those in active labor obviously are the priority. (Fun fact: More women give birth in August than any other month, according to the August issue of Rachael Ray's magazine -- Rachael was born in August.)
Again, baby may surprise us and decide to come in the next four days on his own.
We have a doctor's appointment tomorrow morning to see how the little guy is doing.
We are anxious to say the least. Excited, too, knowing that it's a matter of days....
Friday was my last day at work, so I've been at home this whole week, trying to keep myself occupied -- this has not been easy.
I finally went out yesterday and bought a novel to read. I can't read another baby-related book. My mind can't absorb much more. Plus, I feel like I need to distract myself in order to stay calm.
It's been hot and humid, too, which hasn't helped during this waiting game. We have one a/c unit for the bedroom, but it doesn't cool down the whole apartment. I bought a new fan yesterday to circulate the air a little better in the living room.
Dave is still working, taking the train to NYC each day and hoping that I will call with news of contractions or water breaking. Unfortunately, it's usually a call from me complaining how hot it is in the apartment.
But this will all be a distant memory soon, washed over by the joy of a baby boy.
There is a chance, however, that we will get bumped. The hospital might push our induction back a few hours or a day, depending on how many women they have in labor. Those in active labor obviously are the priority. (Fun fact: More women give birth in August than any other month, according to the August issue of Rachael Ray's magazine -- Rachael was born in August.)
Again, baby may surprise us and decide to come in the next four days on his own.
We have a doctor's appointment tomorrow morning to see how the little guy is doing.
We are anxious to say the least. Excited, too, knowing that it's a matter of days....
Friday was my last day at work, so I've been at home this whole week, trying to keep myself occupied -- this has not been easy.
I finally went out yesterday and bought a novel to read. I can't read another baby-related book. My mind can't absorb much more. Plus, I feel like I need to distract myself in order to stay calm.
It's been hot and humid, too, which hasn't helped during this waiting game. We have one a/c unit for the bedroom, but it doesn't cool down the whole apartment. I bought a new fan yesterday to circulate the air a little better in the living room.
Dave is still working, taking the train to NYC each day and hoping that I will call with news of contractions or water breaking. Unfortunately, it's usually a call from me complaining how hot it is in the apartment.
But this will all be a distant memory soon, washed over by the joy of a baby boy.
Tuesday, July 28, 2009
Baby update
So here's the latest---
I went to the doctor this morning. They did a nonstress test to evaluate the baby's condition. He's doing fine.
The concern, however, is that he is still very high. Apparently, this wouldn't be a problem except all other signs indicate that I'm ready to give birth, i.e. I'm nearly 4 cm dilated.
Doc thinks that perhaps the baby hasn't dropped because he won't make it through the birth canal. There's a chance my pelvis won't accomodate his size -- baby is big -- likely at least 8 lbs by now and growing. (But luckily, the doc says, I'm tall and "big boned.")
Dave and I have a couple of options. The doctor said I could be induced at the end of the week -- when I'm at about 41 weeks. Or we could wait until early next week to induce. But waiting means the baby would be even larger.
Basically, it's a crap shoot on whether the baby will drop far enough for a vaginal delivery.
We are torn about what to do. I don't want to be induced nor do I want to have a c-section. Induction at about 41 weeks is something they usually don't do, so I'm surprised that the doc put it on the table.
So, that's that. The big hope is that I will go into labor naturally and baby comes out fine.
I went to the doctor this morning. They did a nonstress test to evaluate the baby's condition. He's doing fine.
The concern, however, is that he is still very high. Apparently, this wouldn't be a problem except all other signs indicate that I'm ready to give birth, i.e. I'm nearly 4 cm dilated.
Doc thinks that perhaps the baby hasn't dropped because he won't make it through the birth canal. There's a chance my pelvis won't accomodate his size -- baby is big -- likely at least 8 lbs by now and growing. (But luckily, the doc says, I'm tall and "big boned.")
Dave and I have a couple of options. The doctor said I could be induced at the end of the week -- when I'm at about 41 weeks. Or we could wait until early next week to induce. But waiting means the baby would be even larger.
Basically, it's a crap shoot on whether the baby will drop far enough for a vaginal delivery.
We are torn about what to do. I don't want to be induced nor do I want to have a c-section. Induction at about 41 weeks is something they usually don't do, so I'm surprised that the doc put it on the table.
So, that's that. The big hope is that I will go into labor naturally and baby comes out fine.
Saturday, July 25, 2009
Due Date
We made it to July 25, the estimated due date of our little chick. We are hoping that the little guy will now make his arrival!
When the baby comes has been one heck of a trial for us.
Before my first internal exam at the beginning of the month, I had it in my head that little chick might not make his big debut until August.
But during an early July visit, my doctor examined me and determined that there was no way I would make it to July 25. At that visit, I was already 2 cm dilated and about 60 percent effaced.
But alas, the weeks passed.
On Tuesday, the doctor told me I'm 3 cm dilated and about 80 percent effaced. (No doubt I'm lucky here. It can take women hours of painful labor to get where I'm at -- and I have yet to feel a contraction.)
We temporarily scheduled another appointment for Tuesday, the 28th -- doc said there's no way I'd still be pregnant by then. We shall see!
These optimistic doctors - I see a handful of rotating docs - are throwing us for a loop, and I'm to the point where I refuse to trust what they say.
This is my first child, afterall, so it only should be assumed that I would go past my due date. Most women do. And despite such progress with my cervix, the baby hasn't dropped.
And yes, I'm absolutely sick of people asking me if the baby has arrived. You will no doubt know when he arrives, people! Dave and I will be shouting it from the mountain tops, a.k.a. Facebook, e-mail, phone calls.
When the baby comes has been one heck of a trial for us.
Before my first internal exam at the beginning of the month, I had it in my head that little chick might not make his big debut until August.
But during an early July visit, my doctor examined me and determined that there was no way I would make it to July 25. At that visit, I was already 2 cm dilated and about 60 percent effaced.
But alas, the weeks passed.
On Tuesday, the doctor told me I'm 3 cm dilated and about 80 percent effaced. (No doubt I'm lucky here. It can take women hours of painful labor to get where I'm at -- and I have yet to feel a contraction.)
We temporarily scheduled another appointment for Tuesday, the 28th -- doc said there's no way I'd still be pregnant by then. We shall see!
These optimistic doctors - I see a handful of rotating docs - are throwing us for a loop, and I'm to the point where I refuse to trust what they say.
This is my first child, afterall, so it only should be assumed that I would go past my due date. Most women do. And despite such progress with my cervix, the baby hasn't dropped.
And yes, I'm absolutely sick of people asking me if the baby has arrived. You will no doubt know when he arrives, people! Dave and I will be shouting it from the mountain tops, a.k.a. Facebook, e-mail, phone calls.
Subscribe to:
Posts (Atom)